At PLANALTO, we believe that a guaranteed and viable curriculum sets the basis for effective and enjoyable education and life-long learning. In this belief, we are happy to share our school curriculum with you.
When you are looking at our curriculum, please bear in mind that curriculum development is never finished and so course maps are always liable to be changing.
Diploma Programme curriculum
The curriculum is modelled by a hexagon with six academic areas surrounding the three core requirements.
Over the course of the two-year programme, students:
- study six subjects chosen from the six subject groups
- complete an extended essay follow a theory of knowledge course (TOK)
- participate in creativity, action, service (CAS).
- three of the six subjects are studied at higher level (courses representing 240 teaching hours)
- the remaining three subjects are studied at standard level (courses representing 150 teaching hours).
Subjects, other than languages, may be taught and examined in:
- There are pilot projects taking place in German and Chinese.
All students in Grades 11 and 12 (1st and 2nd IBDP Years) take courses designed by the IB Diploma Programme. Students are full diploma candidates. All students who successfully complete the 2nd Year receive a bilingual diploma.
Students in Grade 10 meet an appropriate Preliminary Year (alterar link) pre-requisite that enables them to pursue the IB Diploma Programme. These students must also enroll in Physical Education, Religion and Philosophy.
IBDP Curriculum - Planalto
- English B
- Environmental Systems and Societies
- Sports, Exercise and Health Science
- Mathematical Studies
- The Arts
Students must also take:
- Physical Education
For further information please contact the IB Coordinator.